The State of California allows individuals to set up trusts for the care of their pets or domestic animals for the life of that animal.
As a pet owner, you want the best for your pets. Creating a pet trust as part of your comprehensive estate plan will ensure that your pets are well cared for and your wishes are carried out after you are no longer able to care for your animals. A pet trust will ensure that your pet receives the proper care and support by:
- Appointing a Pet Guardian
- Appointing a Trustee to oversee and manage the funds of the Pet Trust
- Outlining your wishes regarding medical care
- Giving direction about your pet’s needs and routines
- Providing a source of funds for your pet’s care
We cannot be certain that we will outlive our pets and yet they will always depend on us for their care. Proper planning guarantees that your pets will be cared for in the event of your death, incapacity or during temporary emergencies.